PlayStation 5 Playstation

DarthHazard

394 posts Hive Gamurs Staff

So we found out recently that Ubisoft thinks we won't get a new major console at least until Christmas 2019 (https://www.hivegamurs.net/article/no-new-major-consoles-for-atleast-2-years-predicts-ubisoft). Do you think we might get the PS5 before then? What would you want from the console?

Replies (17)

queenzelda

82 posts Member
    Quoting Grungie, posted Dec 02, 2017

That all boils down to how much you want to play those games. Also before anyone name drops the Xbox One, it's not even full backwards compatibility because it's only a small handful of games instead of the full library like the PS2 or Nintendo handhelds.

Um, pardon me good sir but the 3DS is not fully backwards compatible either as it won't play any GBA or GBC/GB games. Only if you purchase the VC versions of GBC/GB games is it perhaps backwards compatible(I guess), but impo being fully backwards compatible would mean that it would play every handheld title Nintendo ever released & the 3DS is not a console that does that.

Grungie

60 posts Member
    Quoting queenzelda, posted Dec 12, 2017

Um, pardon me good sir but the 3DS is not fully backwards compatible either as it won't play any GBA or GBC/GB games. Only if you purchase the VC versions of GBC/GB games is it perhaps backwards compatible(I guess), but impo being fully backwards compatible would mean that it would play every handheld title Nintendo ever released & the 3DS is not a console that does that.

I think you're getting too liberal with the term. When I say full backwards compatibility, it has to be with the console it's claiming backwards compatibility too, not every console that came before it. If a console claims backwards compatibility, you should be able to pop in basically every game of said previous console into the new console, and it should play, not just a select few. The only exception should be instances where there's a specific component of the original console that's missing in the new one, and it only affects an incredibly small number of games. Like how there's only a couple of Sega Master System games that don't work on the Genesis because it requires the SG1000 chip that's missing in the Genesis, or the Guitar Hero games that require the GBA slot on the original DS.

The PS2 plays all PS1 games (unless there's a couple of weird ones). The Gameboy Advance plays all GBC/GB games (unless there's a couple of weird ones). The Xbox One's backwards compatibility is similar to PS2 games on the PS3, it's only a select few games. That is what I'm talking about with backwards compatibility.

MomoStarr16

10 posts Member

I am a fan of PlayStation but I am so sad why do they realease upgrades of console faster. Or they can do that but atleast make them all the cd's compatible with all the playstation series.

Shole

60 posts Member

Well as soon as sales start to stall then they will announce a new PS, I bet it's gonna be like that. That's how the market works, until people buy it in huge enough amounts Sony will chill on it's pile of money lol.

DarthHazard

394 posts Hive Gamurs Staff

Nice to come back here and see this after it was confirmed by Sony. Seems like we will be getting it sometime in 2020.

JordanH

50 posts Management

Yea, that is what I have been reading. Even then, 2020 seems a bit early IMO.

KAMI

37 posts Administrator
    Quoting JordanH, posted Apr 19, 2019

Yea, that is what I have been reading. Even then, 2020 seems a bit early IMO.

I agree. However considering how much the consoles are pushing for better graphics and performance, there's no other way to achieve that, than to throw out a new console every couple of years.

You must be logged in to participate in the forum - Login | Register