Have you ever had surgery? The Lounge

Taffyapple

100 posts Member

I used to be so scared of surgeries.  But in the past ten years, I have had five.  They do not bother me much anymore.  I just remember being scared sh*tless the first time they put me under.  

What has your experience been like?

Replies (3)

Kita

66 posts Moderator

I had 2 or 3, most likely 2. I wasn't scared that much as I was worried a lot.

Lammchen

28 posts Member

Most recently I've had 3 major surgeries for cancer and not knowing what the outcome could be makes it really scary. My first of those surgeries was 3 years ago and it was to remove tongue cancer. I've never smoked, don't drink and don't do drugs so my cancer was a rarity but the oncologist thinks that it would be because I was exposed to second hand smoke growing up. So I had a portion of my tongue removed and was in the ICU for 3-4 days and then spent 3 more days in a normal hospital bed before being able to go home. I couldn't eat for a week and had a feeding tube that my body didn't like and because I had issues with that I told them I was done with it and would just starve. 

My other 2 surgeries were to remove my thyroid (first my right lobe and second surgery to remove the left) for papillary thyroid cancer. I had the same surgeon for all 3 surgeries and that made it easier on me to trust that I would be well taken care of. 

My next surgery will be the end of November as long as the doctor's office doesn't keep neglecting to schedule it!

Alexander

101 posts Member
    Quoting Lammchen, posted Oct 04, 2020

Most recently I've had 3 major surgeries for cancer and not knowing what the outcome could be makes it really scary. My first of those surgeries was 3 years ago and it was to remove tongue cancer. I've never smoked, don't drink and don't do drugs so my cancer was a rarity but the oncologist thinks that it would be because I was exposed to second hand smoke growing up. So I had a portion of my tongue removed and was in the ICU for 3-4 days and then spent 3 more days in a normal hospital bed before being able to go home. I couldn't eat for a week and had a feeding tube that my body didn't like and because I had issues with that I told them I was done with it and would just starve. 

My other 2 surgeries were to remove my thyroid (first my right lobe and second surgery to remove the left) for papillary thyroid cancer. I had the same surgeon for all 3 surgeries and that made it easier on me to trust that I would be well taken care of. 

My next surgery will be the end of November as long as the doctor's office doesn't keep neglecting to schedule it!

No. Never in my life have I experienced surgery and I hope it stays this way! Good luck with yours and hope all works out okay. 

You must be logged in to participate in the forum - Login | Register